Construction Leadership Council Activity
The Construction Leadership Council has been leading the construction industry's response to Covid-19. Double-check the CLC website for updates. Initiatives include:
- The CLC has published a Roadmap to Recovery for the whole industry in England, with three phases to the plan, to be delivered over two years. These will include recommendations to be put forward to government.
- Construction Talent Retention Scheme: This online portal will support the redeployment of staff at risk of redundancy from across the sector, while also enabling temporary employee loans between businesses. It also gives displaced workers from other sectors a route to find new employment in construction, while offering businesses a platform to find the skills they need. Businesses and employers interested in finding out more are encouraged to register their interest at: www.trs-system.co.uk/construction
- To implement the Government’s social distancing recommendation the Construction Leadership Council has now published version 6 of its Site Operating Procedures (SOP), incorporating the latest government guidance.
- A Statement on Payment and Contracts in the supply chain, and the risk that clients and firms will seek to invoke contractual clauses to the detriment of other firms. The CLC is clear that all construction businesses should continue to pay in accordance with agreed contractual terms.
Construction Response to Covid-19
Companies from across the UK construction sector are being asked to showcase how they have played their part in the fight against Covid-19. A website has been launched www.constructioncovid19response.co.uk which includes case studies around four themes: Building NHS Capacity, Donating PPE, Safeguarding Workers & Helping Communities. If you would like to submit a case study, please contact Matt McKeown.
Additional Industry Resources
- The CPA is a member of the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), the largest trade body in the country, which has extensive resources freely available on its Coronavirus Hub, including advice on Government guidance and issues such as furloughs and job retention schemes.
- The CPA works very closely with Make UK, the umbrella trade body representing all UK manufacturing. We can recommend the Make UK Covid-19 webpages for their insight with manufacturing in mind.
- Mineral Products Association (MPA) has launched its Covid-19 Operational Guidance document, together with a series of posters to assist members to get their locations COVID secure. It complements the MPA Managers and Employees pocket guides.
- BSI has published UK Safe Working Guidelines to help businesses manage a safe return to work and reoccupation of their facilities. The guidelines are intended to become a consensus of good practice and BSI encourages the business community and members of the public to have their say and share their learnings and insight on safe working to help protect public health.
European Construction Sector Declaration
The European construction sector calls for urgent measures to protect workers’ health, support economic activity and accelerate the recover. Read the full declaration.